If you’re looking for a good way to spend your Hyatt points, I would highly recommend staying at one of their all-inclusive resorts in Cancun. With all meals and drinks included, it really is the best bang-for-your-points. Whether you’re using cash or points, the Hyatt is a beautiful place to vacation. The resort regularly has promotions, so keep an eye out for special deals. So here it is, my honest review of the Hyatt Zilara in Cancun, Mexico. Lets talk about the good, the bad, and the windy!
A few key points:
- The Hyatt Zilara is an adult-only resort. If you‘re looking for a family-friendly resort, check out the Hyatt Ziva which is only a couple miles away.
- All the rooms at Zilara are ocean view. Even if you’re booking with points, you will still have a beautiful suite with a jacuzzi tub.
- By staying at the Zilara, you will have access to the facilities and restaurants at the Hyatt Ziva as well. The hotel concierge will give you a letter which will grant you access to the Ziva during evening hours. You will have to take the bus or a taxi to the Ziva resort.
The Food at Hyatt Zilara Cancun:
When you’re staying at an all-inclusive resort, food and drinks are definitely important! The Hyatt Zilara has six on-site restaurants to choose from. As far as all-inclusive resort food goes, Hyatt offers some impressive options. Our favorite dining option? The French restaurant at Hyatt Ziva! Be sure to visit the front desk for a letter and stop by the Ziva for dinner one night. We also loved the variety at Spice restaurant, which is the buffet at Hyatt Zilara.
- Spice – The buffet. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Spice had an awesome selection, and it never disappointed us. With such a huge variety, you’re bound to find something you like.
- Asiana – Oriental cuisine. A delicious meal coupled with great entertainment! I would highly recommend making reservations for the hibachi. Spots fill up quickly, so it’s best to do this when you first check in for your stay.
- La Adelita – Traditional Mexican cuisine. This is a great option for the adventurous diner – they set the menu. I would highly suggest trying one of the unique varieties of beer.
- Maria Marie – Gourmet Mexican cuisine. They had some interesting menu options with great flavor. We were also highly impressed with the service here. Be sure to try the vanilla flan.
- Pelicanos – Outdoor dining with pool and ocean views. This restaurant definitely has the best location at the resort. Unfortunately, the wind was not our friend. Being so close to the ocean, it happened to be very breezy. Bring an extra layer and enjoy the breathtaking ocean view over breakfast.
- Coffee House – Coffee shop and deli. This coffee shop had delicious macaroons and amazing cold brew coffee. (Bring a reuseable straw!, the Hyatt is now a straw-free resort)
- Room Service – One huge perk of the Hyatt is that room service is included. If you’re looking for a low-key meal on the balcony as you watch the ocean, you’ll be very satisfied with the room service selection. Ordering is made incredibly easy with in-room tablets at your fingertips.
The Entertainment and Shows at Hyatt Zilara:
The entertainment at Hyatt Zilara was truly amazing. We were so impressed by all the talented performers! When you‘re not lounging on the beach, you can also enjoy the pool and ping-pong tables. We really enjoyed drinking margaritas and playing chess! The hotel offered various events during the week. Wine tastings, tequila tastings, disco parties, and live music kept us entertained during our stay. They offer a calendar of events in the lobby, so you can make sure to be around for the performances that interest you.
The Beach at Hyatt Zilara:
During our stay the beach was rather windy, and the ocean was rough. There is nothing comfortable about sand whipping on your bare legs. We could still swim in the water, but we did have to exercise caution. You’ll see colored flags showing whether the water is safe for swimming. If you’re not a fan of strong currents, the pool is more than adequate for a dip. Pool cabanas fill up very early! That being said, the beach and ocean is still breathtaking. The hotel does what they can to ensure that it is comfortable. Servers were readily available for drinks. We got approached a few times by people trying to sell us souvenirs, but they were respectful, friendly, and not pushy at all.
The Spa At Hyatt Zilara:
During our stay at Zilara, we booked a one-hour massage which included access to the spa facilities. To be honest, I wasn’t floored by the quality of the massage I received, but it was certainly a relaxing way to spend the day. The spa facilities on the other hand were incredible. We were very impressed by the top-notch service we received in the spa while we enjoyed the amenities. The sauna and hydrotherapy pools were amazing! We went early in the morning so the facilities were not crowded. This is a great option if the weather is not favorable.
Pros and Cons of Hyatt Zilara:
- Room service is included, which is not true of many other resorts. The quality of the room service food was good as well.
- Great dining options available. Even the pickiest of eaters should be able to find something they like.
- The nightly entertainment was incredible!
- Jacuzzi tubs outside were lukewarm at best. This may have been due to the intermittent rain.
- We were approached several times at the resort by Hyatt representatives looking to speak with us about Platinum service. This didn’t happen at all when we stayed at Ziva. It became somewhat of a nuisance and we learned which areas of the lobby to avoid walking by.
- I asked the hotel if there were any other rooms available because of a persistent/loud rattling in the air conditioner. They told me the hotel was at capacity, but this was clearly untrue. They did send maintenance in to fix the noise which was great.
Transportation From the Airport to the Hyatt Zilara:
In my experience, there is no need to be picky about transportation from the airport. Most of the shuttles and taxis are very familiar with the area and hotels. We used Happy Shuttle Cancun and were very pleased! Alternatively, the Hyatt does offer transportation, but it is more expensive.
If you’re looking for a great all-inclusive experience to use your Hyatt points, you can’t go wrong with either resort in Cancun. I genuinely love both the Ziva and the Zilara for different reasons, and found them to be a great use of my reward points. Have you stayed at either resort? What were your thoughts?
Calvin CraigGuest Poster / Traveler
When Cal isn’t traveling, he’s busy playing video games or planting peppers. He loves award travel, spicy food, and new tech gadgets.